Railway engineering design technician (level 3)
Provide technical support to engineers who design infrastructure and systems for railways.
Equivalent to A level
- Typical duration
- 30 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Assistant designer
- Assistant technician
- Design technician
- Junior technician
- Rail design technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Apply core engineering principles, including mathematical, scientific and technical know-how, to railway systems and the design process.
- Apply key principles, techniques and methods of data collection, analysis and evaluation to support the delivery of valid railway engineering design and technical solutions.
- Plan and carry out calculations, data collection, analysis, evaluation, and report the outputs through appropriate means.
- Create technical drawings, plans and technical documentation using relevant conventions and engineering terminology related to railway systems.
- Operate appropriate software packages for data gathering and analysis, such as Computer Aided Design (CAD), Building Information Modelling (BIM).
- Apply document control processes and procedures using the approved processes, maintaining quality compliance when creating or amending engineering and/or design documentation.
- Apply statutory health and safety policies, procedures and regulations in the railway engineering design environment, using risk assessment processes, procedures and documentation.
- Plan, carry out and manage own work in line with quality management and assurance polices, recognising the wider implications to client or customer needs, and within cost and resource limitations.
- Support and contribute to the production of railway engineering design solutions in accordance with relevant industry standards, regulations and procedures, with consideration for security, cultural and societal, and environmental considerations.
- Communicate using appropriate methods for the audience, and incorporate relevant and appropriate terms, standards and data.
- Apply sustainable and ethical principles to Railway Engineering Design.
- Plan, undertake and review their own professional competence, regularly updating and reviewing their CPD to improve performance.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.