Policy officer (level 4)
Contribute to the development of policy.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Business and administration
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Advocacy officer
- Engagement and consultant officer
- Insights officer
- Policy advisor
- Policy analyst
- Policy and delivery officer
- Policy officer
- Policy researcher
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Undertake research and data collection from a range of primary and secondary sources to determine quality, accuracy, reliability, cognitive bias and trustworthiness of data sources.
- Use analytical techniques on research and data, making use of stakeholder expertise in the policy area.
- Demonstrate problem solving ability and evidence-based decision-making.
- Prepare documents and present findings, making use of evidence to underpin arguments.
- Adapt communication style to different audiences.
- Apply project and risk management tools and techniques across the policy lifecycle.
- Manage conflicting priorities to ensure work is completed within deadlines and budgets, setting own milestones to manage workload.
- Manage joint work with other organisations through tasks such as creating reference documents and records of policy decisions.
- Demonstrate networking and stakeholder management skills.
- Facilitate events such as conferences, forums, or roundtable discussions on policy issues.
- Keep accurate records of relevant information such as key data, identified trends, critiques, commentary, media attention and topical issues.
- Evaluate data related to current and previous policy interventions.
- Work with specialists from outside of the policy function. For example specialists in research, communications, commercial, legal, and science.
- Looking beyond immediate role to larger trends which may impact on the relevant policy area, utilising big picture thinking to support organisational strategy.
- Support the development and delivery of materials and activities to train their team.
Full information on Policy officer (level 4) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.