Tunnelling operative (level 2)
Building the underground tunnels needed for services such as rail lines and water works.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Apply general workplace health, safety and welfare requirements when undertaking tunnelling activities
- Work safely underground, follow safe tunnel entry systems and react appropriately in an emergency following the correct emergency escape procedures
- Interpret and work to specifications including Control of Substances Hazardous to Health [COSHH]assessments, construction information and briefings
- Plan and undertake work productively
- Communicate with others and follow organisational procedures to conform to productive work practices
- Supply information on the activities and progress of the work they are undertaking independently and as part of a team
- Comply with environmentally responsible work practices and contribute to sustainable practices in tunnelling operations
- Follow the technical requirements, at an operative level, associated with the different tunnelling processes and/or methods for one of the following; hand tunnelling, machine tunnelling (loco operator), pipejacking, sprayed concrete lining, shaft sinking and drill and blast, plan and use appropriate technologies associated with the different processes and/or methods
- Apply safe working techniques for moving and handling materials, resources and components by mechanically assisted or manual means
- Direct, guide and control the movement and operation of tunnelling plant, machinery and vehicles
- Off load and load vehicles used in the tunnelling environment
- Operate powered units, tools and pedestrian plant, machinery and equipment specific to tunnelling operations (e.g. pumps, generators, compressors, agitators, grouting equipment, segment-handling equipment)
- Work individually and as part of a team, to install and remove tunnelling plant, components, machinery and equipment
- Install and support the installation of back-up service systems for ventilation, pressurisation, communication, water supply, walkways and materials handling (rail, conveyor and piped)
Full information on Tunnelling operative (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.