Laboratory scientist (degree) (level 6)
Carrying out technical and scientific activity in laboratories.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 60 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Identify and use the scientific approaches appropriate to one specialist discipline required to solve problems, support new investigations and follow-up experiments in the laboratory.
- Appraise scientific experimentation, independently design and implement new processes according to relevant literature and other data sources interrogated using data mining techniques and input from colleagues.
- Support appraisal of scientific experimentation with numerical and statistical analysis.
- Work autonomously to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form.
- Comply with regulations including compliance with business rules pertaining to record keeping, data integrity, traceability & confidentiality.
- Promote and ensure the application of quality standards, safe working practices and compliance with risk management systems relevant to the workplace in own work and the work of others.
- Use creative thinking and problem solving techniques such as root cause analysis, to challenge assumptions, innovate, make new proposals and build on existing ideas.
- Autonomously plan and prioritise tasks, review and evaluate progress against objectives and investigate alternative scenarios.
- Contribute to the development of specific technical projects across multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ensure that targets are met and maintained, within own area of responsibility, whilst complying with defined company procedures and legislative requirements.
- Lead continuous performance improvement within the scientific and technical environment using process mapping & analysis and root cause analysis that is informed by other appropriate principles, such as lean, six sigma, project and change management.
Full information on Laboratory scientist (degree) (level 6) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location