Passenger transport driver - bus and coach or tram (level 2)
Driving buses, coaches or trams, making sure customers get where they're going safely and on time.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Bus driver
- Coach driver
- Tram driver
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Apply safe working practices and comply with current passenger carrying vehicles (PCV) driving regulations and legislation.
- Comply with current company policies and procedures.
- Locate and access the vehicle.
- Conduct pre-service route planning.
- Pre-service vehicle checks, tests and documentation.
- Check and maintain cleanliness of the vehicle.
- Drive the vehicle applying defensive driving techniques, with consideration of efficiency for sustainability, environmental and economic factors.
- Follow procedures to maximise punctuality of service.
- Communicate with customers using automated, verbal or other methods regarding delays and interruptions to the service and timing.
- Uses destination displays and signage.
- Communicates with colleagues, internal and external stakeholders to supports the general operation of services.
- Provide assistance for customers to safely embark and disembark the vehicle
- Manage customer queries and complaints.
- Make scheduled stops on route.
- Monitor and respond to instrumentation, signals and instructions.
- Identify and diagnose vehicle faults and failures to rectify issues within limits of own authority.
- Prepare and submit documents, reports and logs containing performance, incident and technical information.
- Changeover the vehicle or take a vehicle out of service.
- Pass the responsibility to the control of others.
- Record task information (text or data) - paper based or electronic.
- Identify, carry out and record industry related continuing professional development (CPD) activities.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.