Metrology technician (level 3)
Using, designing and repairing equipment for taking measurements.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- measurement researcher
- measurement tester
- metrology inspector
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Identify measurement needs and make informed decisions about the measurement process and timescales required, including selection of; tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs.
- Access and interpret information and documentation to support the measurement process including; data, manuals, specifications, catalogues, calibration certificates and computer-generated information.
- Prepare the work environment and perform tests and checks on measurement tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs and determine suitability for use.
- Take action when non-conforming tools, equipment, instrumentation, materials and software programs have been identified.
- Plan and perform measurement tasks to ensure verifiable results, using measurement tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs, following specified procedures and methodologies.
- Retrieve, analyse, interpret, validate and record measurement results and data in line with specifications.
- Contribute to the production of records, reports and other measurement documentation.
- Communicate relevant and specific information through various channels to meet customer requirements.
- Comply with statutory regulations, national and international standards, industry and organisational procedures and requirements relating to codes of conduct when carrying out measurement tasks.
- Comply with relevant Health and Safety legislation, regulation, standards, industry and organisational policies and procedures and requirements relating to safe working practices.
- Comply with policies and procedures relating to the preparation, storage, standards, control and handling of samples, tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs.
Full information on Metrology technician (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location