Food industry technical professional (integrated degree) (level 6)
Ensuring the safety and quality of food and drink products.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 48 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- assistant food technical manager
- food scientist
- food technician
- hygiene manager
- product innovation and development technologist
- quality manager
- shift quality manager
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Lead, develop and implement the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point system and team on site
- Interpret microbiological results; spot and analyse trends to diagnose or a nticipate issues; define and implement action plans
- Develop product specifications taking into account the key risk factors in product design; ensure customer pre-requisites are implemented and followed
- Manage, develop and implement internal audit schedule to ensure compliance with legal, industry and customer standards; keep abreast of new standards; credibly host third party audits
- Select the most appropriate tools and methodology to demonstrate compliance, food safety culture and delivery of consistent quality of products
- Establish cleaning and hygiene programmes and audit methodology; set up monitoring programmes; interpret data; identify different risk zoning in an operational area and the different hygiene requirements; manage internal and external cleaning contractors
- Manage complaint performance through the identification of trends and the design of corrective action programmes to improve credibility with customer
- Design and implement site procedures to ensure legal compliance with current food law; lead any investigation into legal contravention with the relevant enforcement authorities
- Establish process parameters and control requirements; measure the impact of process on product, set limits and take action to deal with process and product non-conformance
- Optimise and control parameters that influence common industry processes: washing, mixing, heating, cooking, cooling/chilling, freezing, drying, freeze drying
- Be able to liaise and co-ordinate with other functions to deliver New Product Development projects. When appropriate take the lead and drive the project
- Use project management tools to deliver projects to time, cost, specification and quality
- Coordinate investigations into and responses to non-conformances and participate in incident management teams; implement incident management procedure
- Review and select relevant scientific techniques taking into account cost and practicalities; experiment, collect and analyse data and formulate solutions
- Manage supplier intake controls; carry out supplier a udit & performance reviews and risk assessment; maintain approved supplier, contractor and vendor performance process
- Design and implement traceability system fully compliant with customer and legal requirements; monitor to verify validity of process
- Lead and develop a small technical team on site
- Develop and demonstrate critical evaluation/analysis of complex information and data
Full information on Food industry technical professional (integrated degree) (level 6) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.