Fishmonger (level 2)
Selling fish and seafood products, and advising customers on how to prepare them.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Sales, marketing and procurement
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Mobile fish van fishmonger
- Retail fishmonger
- Supermarket fishmonger
- Sustainable fishmonger
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Adherence with safe handling and storage requirements from receipt to sale, including stock rotation, quality assessment, temperature control and monitoring and avoiding cross- contamination
- The ability to hand prepare fish including scaling, gutting, filleting, boning, pocketing, canoeing and skinning
- The ability to hand prepare shellfish including dressing and shucking
- Display fish and shellfish for retail sale
- An ability to sell fish and shellfish by interpreting and satisfying customer needs, through upselling/link selling and promotions
- Process the sale of fish and shellfish, including portioning, preparing, weighing, packing, labelling and processing payments relevant to the business
- Use tools and equipment safely in the handling, preparation and sale of fish and shellfish
- Work safely and hygienically in the handling, preparation and sale of fish and shellfish
- Handle complaints and resolve problems appropriate to business policy and procedures
- Communicate effectively with customers and colleagues
Full information on Fishmonger (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location