Spectacle maker (level 3)
Produce and repair finished, quality-assured spectacles.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Creative and design
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- laboratory technician
- ophthalmic laboratory technician
- optical laboratory technician
- optical technician
- spectacle technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Maintain good standards of health and safety for self and for others, using safe working practices.
- Prepare and maintain a safe working environment, where both hand tools and mechanical tools are prevalent.
- identify and minimise hazards and risks in the working environment.
- Technical interpretation and understanding
- Create and interpret technical optical specifications, drawings, and other written and verbal instructions for the manufacture and repair of spectacles, including the identification and appropriate response to problems, including testing and adjustment, seeking advice and guidance as appropriate.
- Manufacturing and repair processes
- Select and use the appropriate processes, techniques, materials, tools and equipment for manufacture or repair of spectacles and undertake the spectacle making process from inception to realisation.
- Remove and dismantle components and products, correcting faults and re-assembly of spectacles to the appropriate standard.
- Tools and equipment
- Carry out testing and adjustment of spectacles, including lens conformity, frame set-up and cosmetic checks.
- Maintain materials and equipment as appropriate, including grinding and polishing equipment, assembly tools, (precision screwdrivers, optical pliers, routers), measuring devices (focimeters and lensmeters, base clocks and calipers).
- Work to the appropriate optical quality standards and systems, with efficient use of time, materials and resources.
- Record work and either self-evaluate or obtain feedback from others to improve work and working practice.
Full information on Spectacle maker (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
No training providers available for this course yet
Try searching for another course.
Can't find a training provider?
We can let other training providers know you are interested in Spectacle maker (level 3).