Hairdressing professional (level 2)
Working as a barber or hairdresser to provide hair cutting, styling and grooming services for men and women.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Hair and beauty
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Hair professional
- Hair stylist
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Adhere to legal and organisational requirements for the safe use of products, tools, materials and equipment.
- Apply safe, hygienic, and effective methods of working and infection control, while completing hairdressing services.
- Use communication and etiquette that meets industry requirements, suits and is appropriate to the organisation.
- Maintain the client’s confidentiality and comfort (modesty, privacy) at the start and during the service.
- Advise clients (new and regular) pre, during and after service on the maintenance of the look, complementary services and retail products available in the salon.
- Promote yourself, your organisation, products and services via a variety of social channels.
- Carry out wider salon duties to support the salon business (e.g. services, bookings, payments, retail, upselling and sales).
- Use a range of products, tools, equipment used in Hairdressing services in accordance with legal organisational requirements.
- Complete and maintain client records in accordance with legal and organisational requirements.
- Work as part of a team to support the salon businesses.
- Use working methods that promote environmental and sustainable working practices.
- Carry out a consultation, examine and analyse the hair, skin and scalp and complete relevant industry tests (e.g. hair classification type and characteristics tests).
- Identify (question/observation) any contraindications or limiting factors that are likely to affect or influence the service.
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp.
- Dry and finish hair using a range of techniques to create a range of looks, that meets the intended shape, direction, balance and volume agreed with the client.
- Use current setting and dressing techniques to create a range of looks that meets the intended shape, direction, balance, and volume agreed with the client.
- Cut hair using a range of technical skills and cutting techniques to create a range of looks, considering weight distribution, cutting angles, balance and degree of graduation, and the natural growth patterns of the hair, length of the hair ( club cutting, scissor over comb, clipper over comb, texturising, freehand, thinning, layering and razor cutting).
- Restyle hair to create a personalised short or medium (above the shoulder) length hair cut, changing the shape, length and style hair using a range of cutting techniques.
- Complete a range of hair colouring and lightening services to change the depth and tone using current colouring techniques (e.g. freehand techniques, woven highlights or lowlights, root re-touch, half head and full head application, temporary, semi-permanent, demi- permanent, quasi-permanent, permanent colour and lighteners).
- Evaluate the results of the service.
Full information on Hairdressing professional (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.