Heavy vehicle service and maintenance technician (level 3)
Inspecting and repairing a range of heavy vehicles (HVs) and trailers for dealerships, independent garages and franchise and large fleet operators.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- bus engineer
- coach engineer
- Heavy Goods Vehicle
- Heavy Goods Vehicle Maintenance Technician
- heavy goods vehicle technician
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance Technician
- heavy vehicle mechanic
- Heavy Vehicle Service Technician
- HGV Maintenance Technician
- HGV mechanic
- HGV Service Technician
- HV Maintenance Technician
- HV mechanic
- HV Service Technician
- lorry mechanic
- lorry technician
- Service Technician
- truck mechanic
- truck technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Carry out the basic tasks with tools and equipment common to all procedures involving basic mechanical and electrical procedures related to HV
- The ability to keep updated with emerging new technologies within the HV industry.
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and efficient workshop and adhere to the company and legislative processes.
- Access specific and related HV technical information appropriately.
- The ability to service, inspect and maintain HVs and trailers to meet company, Driver and vehicle standards agency (DVSA) and manufacturers’ standards.
- Use a range of diagnostic and electrical measuring equipment to identify faults and underlying causes on HV’s.
- Successfully inspect and prepare vehicles and trailers to meet DVSA standards prescribed in the tester’s manual.
- Carry out final quality checks before handover to the customer without supervision.
- Apply advanced diagnostic principles and logical/problem solving techniques and regimes.
- Maintain records to company and operators’ licence obligations and regulation.
- To be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written mediums both internally and with customers on a range of topics that will support, HV inspection and diagnosing techniques.
Full information on Heavy vehicle service and maintenance technician (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location