Non-destructive testing (NDT) operator (level 2)
Inspecting components, materials, welds and other items within manufacturing processes.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- NDT inspector
- NDT operator
- Non-destructive testing inspector
- Non-destructive testing oerator
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Demonstrate health & safety competencies pertinent to the relevant NDT method such as working at heights, in confined spaces and in restricted zones
- Carry out inspections using one NDT method, which would include: revealing defects present on the external surface of the test item / component using minimum levels of interpretation, usually by visual assessment only referring the inspection results to more skilled or qualified personnel to continue with the inspection process, assessment and interpretation Safe operation of the equipment within its capabilities and limitations Working effectively within the limitations of standard tests and measurements relevant to their field of activity Performing NDT inspections in accordance with written NDT Work Instructions Escalating concerns over frequency of type defects to his/her supervisor, in addition to confirming results and accurately recording the findings Clearly marking defective areas for other follow-up validation by supervisory staff, such as NDT Engineering Technicians Preparing and submit clear and concise NDT inspection reports detailing the inspection findings Reading technical drawings to assist in the inspection process
- Work under technical supervision and to report regularly on progress
- Ask the supervisor for advice and guidance where appropriate
- Demonstrate a disciplined approach relating to industry standard operations and processes
- Exhibit environmental awareness and undertake safe working practices for self and others
- Have good practical ability, including hand/eye coordination, in order to apply NDT
- Achieve good time management and a disciplined approach
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.