Food and drink technical operator (level 3)
Working on production operations, setting up, and performing operational maintenance on food and drink machinery
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 30 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Advanced operator
- Manufacturing technician
- Process development technician
- Process technician
- Skilled production operator
- Technical operator
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Interpret, follow and implement food and drink production SOPs.
- Interpret, follow and implement quality assurance procedures.
- Monitor production performance, stock usage and rotation.
- Operate or use food and drink production tools and equipment.
- Identify hazards (Critical Control Points) and control measures to mitigate risks.
- Comply with food safety regulations and procedures.
- Comply with health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Comply with environment and sustainability regulations and procedures. Segregate, recycle and dispose of waste.
- Monitor and inspect production machinery.
- Apply basic maintenance practices. For example, check levels, parts wear, pressure, and sensors, and grease and lubricate.
- Select and use maintenance hand tools.
- Follow food safe engineering standards and practices. For example, use of food safe chemicals, check out and in of components.
- Follow site isolation and lock off procedures (lockout, tagout).
- Diagnose and resolve issues. Escalate issues.
- Apply fault-finding and problem-solving techniques.
- Apply continuous improvement techniques. Devise suggestions for improvement.
- Collect and interpret information. Use data to apply changes
- Record information - paper based or electronic.
- Use information technology. Comply with GDPR.
- Plan and organise self, others and resources.
- Communicate with colleagues and stakeholders visually and verbally.
- Communicate in writing.
- Identify training needs. Train and buddy team members in the workplace.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.