Large goods vehicle (LGV) driver C + E (level 2)
Driving and delivering goods across all sectors and distances for a range of customers from private individuals and sole traders through to large global organisations.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 13 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Artic driver
- HGV driver
- LGV driver
- Lorry driver
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Drive safely and efficiently on public and private roads, and manoeuvre the vehicle in restricted spaces; safely use and position vehicle fitted equipment (eg mobile cranes)
- Proficiently control the vehicle taking into account the size and type of vehicle and trailer
- Use relevant equipment and machinery safely and efficiently to ensure the safe handling of customer goods, safely open and restrain trailer and vehicle body doors.
- Carry out delivery and other relevant activities in a safe and efficient manner complying with relevant systems and processes, following instructions and organisational policy
- Prepare the vehicle and the load for deliveries, including safely using and positioning vehicle fitted equipment; carry out vehicle safety checks and deal with or report any defects or maintenance issues to the appropriate person; complete daily walk round check sheets
- Ensure the vehicle is correctly loaded and is safely secured to minimize chances of damage or load shifting
- Ensure techniques are used to protect the vehicle and load from theft and damage.
- Effectively plan the most economical route to be used, minimising waste and loss; plan, prioritise and adapt accordingly when situations arise out of the normal routine
- Use relevant IT systems appropriately and in line with organisational requirements.
- Fully comply with appropriate legislation and regulation within the transport industry
- Work safely adhering to the health, safety guidelines e.g. manual handling
- Use Appropriate methods to communicate effectively with customers and colleagues in line with organisational standards
- Work independently using own initiative.
- Work closely with suppliers and customers to ensure any problems, damages or anomalies are corrected.
- Work as part of a team, showing an ability to work under pressure and to agreed deadlines.
- Support colleagues and contribute to achieving objectives or goals.
- Use and connect to the correct type of trailer and its operating systems
Full information on Large goods vehicle (LGV) driver C + E (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
L18 Liverpool Remove location