Embedded electronic systems design and development engineer (degree) (level 6)
Designing and developing electronic circuits, devices and systems for a range of industries.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Hardware engineer
- software engineer
- systems engineer
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Design functional electronic systems and circuits from component level
- Utilise modern CAD technology to implement circuit design with understanding of considerations for heat dissipation, electrical interference and other industry specific considerations affecting layout
- Write and document structured code to comply with industry norms and to allow others to understand and subsequently maintain/modify the code
- Utilise modelling techniques for circuit design, embedded software development and thermal management
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of the principles and practice of design for market, design for manufacturability, design for testability and design for maintainability
- Ability to develop a test plan for a product that they have developed
- Ability to explain the process by which a product is introduced into production, including what aspects are discussed at what stage and with whom and how development gateways work
- Ability to develop a basic project plan including resource planning, time planning, use of contingencies etc. Also techniques for predicting pinch points and strategies for timescale recovery
- Awareness of international standards and compliance requirements for the products designed by the employer. Ability to discuss the differences between legislative and non-legislative requirements
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of basic business fundamentals including costs, overheads, gross margin, net margin, profit, and cash
- Ability to demonstrate awareness and understanding of basic health and safety principles both in the general workplace and specific to electronic circuit design
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.