Healthcare science assistant
Carrying out routine technical and scientific procedures and support within hospitals, doctor surgeries and other healthcare settings for a wide range of people.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 12 months
- Current funding band
Up to £5,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- healthcare science (HCS) principles and practices
- understanding of person-centred care
- carrying out routine HCS duties such as basic life support
- infection prevention and control, including handling hazardous materials
- working under supervision within a team to agreed operating standards
- health and safety law, policies and practices relevant to healthcare
- level 2 diploma in healthcare science (currently under development)
Before taking their end-point assessment apprentices must:
- achieve level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades D to G)
- take the test for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
Apprentices will be able to apply to join the Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) accredited register.
- End Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.