Refrigeration air conditioning and heat pump engineering technician
Planning, preparing and safely carrying out work in process, product and space cooling.
3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)
- Typical length
- 36 months
- Current funding band
Up to £18,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- relevant legislation, regulations and standards
- principles of thermodynamics, gas laws, psychrometrics, fluid flow, electricity, properties of refrigerant fluids and lubricants
- data analysis
- the function and operation of system components and how they interact in a range of systems
- safe working practices
- mechanical operations
- applying mathematical principles to their work
All apprentices must achieve a Level 2 Certificate in F Gas and ODS Regulations Category 1.
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must achieve level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C).
- Professional registration
This apprenticeship meets the professional standards of the Engineering Council (EngC) for registration as an engineering technician (EngTech) in partnership with the:
- the Institute of Refrigeration (IOR)
- and the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE).
- End-Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.