Reading medical notes and records, analysing and translating into codes that accurately represent the patient's stay.
3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)
- Typical length
- 18 months
- Current funding band
Up to £5,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer. This might include level 2 in English, maths and a science subject (preferably science / biology).
- What apprentices will learn
- assess patient records and notes
- identify and apply medical terms into code
- allocate diagnosis and procedural codes to patient records
- extract information from all types of clinical documentation and assess relevant health record content
- input clinical codes onto Patient Administration Systems
Apprentices without level 2 English and maths on entry will need to achieve this level prior to taking the end-point assessment (GCSE grades 9 to 4 or A* to C).
- Professional registration
- End-Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.