Operating Department Practitioner (degree)
Supporting operating theatre staff and providing care to patients at all stages of an operation
This standard needs a training provider who is recognised by the associated approval body. Please check with the training provider for further details.
6 (equivalent to bachelor's degree)
- Typical length
- 48 months
- Current funding band
Up to £24,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
- set by the employer but must meet the 15 standards as set out in the Care Certificate 2.
- subject to Disclosure and Barring Service checks.
- What apprentices will learn
- prepare operating theatre and equipment
- theatre cleanliness
- ordering and rotating drugs
- understand instruments used in a theatre
- patient dignity and care
Complete an operating department practice degree approved by Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
- Professional registration
Register as an operating department practitioner with the HCPC.
- End-Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.