Managing animals before and during the slaughtering process.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 16 months
- Current funding band
Up to £6,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer. Must be over 18 years of age.
- What apprentices will learn
- humanely killing and preparing livestock
- preparing carcasses before they are sold to retailers
- empathy and respect for animals
- animal welfare and stress prevention
- process and function in the slaughter process
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must have:
- achieved level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSE grades 3 to 1 or D to G)
- taken level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSE grades 9 to 4 or A* to C)
- Professional registration
Level 2 Award for Proficiency in Protecting the Welfare of Animals at Time of Killing (WATOK).
- End Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.