Building the underground tunnels needed for services such as rail lines and water works.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 18 months
- Current funding band
Up to £12,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- preparing sites for tunnelling work
- organising the delivery and storage of equipment
- making sure the correct materials are available for a team to start work
- operating equipment, tools and machinery
Before taking their end-point assessment apprentices must:
- achieve the level 2 NVQ diploma in tunnelling operations
- achieve level 2 English, and maths (equivalent to GCSE grades 9 to 4 or A* to C)
- Professional registration
- End-Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.