Designing, installing, maintaining and supporting communication networks within an organisation or between organisations.
4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education)
- Typical length
- 24 months
- Current funding band
Up to £17,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
Candidates will usually have one of the following:
- A levels
- a level 3 apprenticeship or other relevant qualification
- relevant experience or an aptitude test with a focus on functional maths
- What apprentices will learn
- principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies
- using diagnostic tools to find the causes of system failure
- architecture of a typical business IT system
- designing simple networks from specification and optimising performance
- installing and configuring network parts, including switches, routers and firewalls
- undertaking system upgrades and integrating software into an existing network
- interpreting written requirements and technical specifications
- logging and responding to network service calls
Apprentices must achieve an internationally recognised vendor or professional qualification, selected by the employer.
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must:
- achieve level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
This apprenticeship is recognised for entry onto the register of IT technicians at Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA) level 3.
- End-Point Assessment
View a list of end-point assessment organisations for this standard
Organisation Phone Number BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT 01793 417417 firstname.lastname@example.org The Colleges' Partnership Ltd 07843 582969 email@example.com The Education and Care Qualification Network 08438860123 firstname.lastname@example.org City and Guilds 0844 543 0000 email@example.com BIIAB 01276 684449 firstname.lastname@example.org;
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.