Produce and repair finished, quality-assured spectacles.
3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)
- Typical length
- 24 months
- Current funding band
Up to £4,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- processes and techniques for manufacturing and repairing spectacles
- materials, including resins, plastics, glass and metals
- testing and adjustment of spectacles
- optical tools and equipment
- technical specifications, drawings and instructions
- health and safety
- work to appropriate quality standards and systems
- maths and optical science skills
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must:
- achieve level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
Apprentices will be eligible to become Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers.
- End-Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.