Large goods vehicle (LGV) driver
Driving and delivering goods across all sectors and distances for a range of customers from private individuals and sole traders through to large global organisations.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 12 months
- Current funding band
Up to £5,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Candidates must hold at least a valid UK category B driving licence and be 18 years old before they gain a provisional vocational licence.
- What apprentices will learn
- road safety practices, procedures and legislation - including goods vehicle and working time restrictions and vulnerable road users
- vehicle safety and preparation - including checks and inspections, defect reporting and load security
- safe and fuel efficient driving (SAFED) driving techniques - including restricted space manoeuvres and using public and private roads
- transport planning - including route selection and vehicle selection
- using industry-recognised systems and technology - including adaptive braking, hand-held scanners, on-board telematics and tachographs
- communicating effectively with colleagues and customers - including customer service and establishing rapport
- health and safety practices, procedures, regulations and legislation within a supply chain environment
- category C driving licence
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must:
- achieve level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades D to G)
- take the test for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
- End-Point Assessment
View a list of end-point assessment organisations for this standard
Organisation Phone Number The Real Apprenticeship Company 01926 298020 email@example.com Specialised HGV 0207 908 5437 firstname.lastname@example.org Pearson Education Limited +44 (0) 7879 602674 email@example.com Skills for Logistics Ltd 01179278800 Bethany.Batstone@skillsforlogistics.co.uk RTITB 01952 520200 firstname.lastname@example.org Northwest Education & Training Ltd email@example.com Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance (HABC) 0845 226 0350 firstname.lastname@example.org Road Haulage Association 01733 261131 email@example.com
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.